Multidimensional gas chromatography, or GCxGC, has been developed by ZOEX. Extensive two-dimensional gas chromatography (GC × GC) is a very powerful separation technique in which the carrier gas eluting from a capillary GC column (first dimension) is introduced on a second capillary column (second dimension) with a different but complementary separation mechanism. In this way the sample is subjected to two different separation processes within a single analysis. This remarkably increases the peak capacity and leads to an enormous resolution. Compared to a single column separation, GC × GC can provide highly detailed sample characterization and excellent visualization of sample components.
The heart of the system is the modulator. This device continuously fractionates the eluate from the first column into slices and injects them again into the second dimension where further separation occurs. Typically eluting peaks from the first dimension are cut into 3-5 slices by the modulator. The separation on the second dimension column is very fast, usually 3-8 seconds.
Nowadays, different types of modulators are available. Some use thermal trapping to modulate the analytes, others are flow-based.
There is no ideal modulator that is the best choice for all applications. Each design has its own strengths and limitations. Selecting the right modulator is crucial because it can dramatically influence the quality of the GC × GC results and the user-friendliness of the set-up. This choice must be tailored to your needs, taking into account the nature of the samples and the types of analysis that you encounter in your laboratory.
The following options are available:
Look at this brochure for a more detailed description of GCxGC:
Overview GCxGC Solutions
- Gas Chromatographs Agilent 6890, 7890, 8860 and 8890 GC systems
- Detectors Agilent 5973 MSD, FID, NPD, SCD and NCD detectors, and TOF-MS and QTOF systems
- Thermal Modulators Zoex ZX1 liquid Nitrogen cooled loop type modulator, Zoex ZX2 Nitrogen/Air cooled loop type modulator
- CFT Flow Modulators Agilent Capillary Flow Technology: Deans Switches and splitters
- Accessories Zoex Autofill Unit for LN2 supply management for the ZX1 modulator, and column holders for ZX1 and ZX2, secondary column ovens
- Software GC Image and GC Project Software which interfaces with many GC platforms, Image Software also for LCXLC control
- Sampling CDS Pyrolysis, headspace, EST Purge and Trap, CTC Sampling station
- Consumables Restek GCxGC column sets, liners, ferrules, septa and kits
- Valving Smart valving solutions for GC and detector systems
- Gas Supply Inert gas supplies to assure maximum instrument performance and quality analysis
- Products can be operated in combination with all other brands of GC’s.
Do you want to know more about this system? Please contact one of our experts and they will help you find the best system for your analyses.